Monday, August 8, 2016

Romans 12: 3-8



Gifts of Grace
Rom 12:3 Because of the privilege and authority God has given me, I give each of you this warning: Don't think you are better than you really are. Be honest in your evaluation of yourselves, measuring yourselves by the faith God has given us.

Have you ever run into a “Christian” that has an attitude of I am more blessed than you? It may be the little things like, I learned that when I was 1o, or you really didn’t know that? I have been a Christian for over 60 years and I am constantly humbled by new Christians. Each of us has a different perspective on what the Bible says or what God is saying to us. It is interesting to hear what others think about what was just said or read.

Rom 12:4 Just as our bodies have many parts and each part has a special function, Rom 12:5 so it is with Christ's body. We are many parts of one body, and we all belong to each other.


Life Application New Testament Commentary:
12:4-5 Replacing the national identity that had once set apart God’s people, Paul gives a new picture of the identity of God’s redeemed people. They are like a body. Each of us has one body, but it has many parts—eyes, ears, fingers, toes, blood vessels, muscles. And each part has a special function. Not every part of our body can see; not every part hears. But all must work together if the body is going to move and act correctly. (See also 1Co_12:12-27.) Just as our physical bodies are composed of many parts, so Christ’s body is made up of many believers who all perform different work. And as our bodies cannot be taken apart, so we belong to each other. The members work together to make the body work. When it is not done, the body suffers.
We must be humble and recognize our partnership in the body of Christ. Only then can our gifts be used effectively, and only then can we appreciate others’ gifts. God gives us gifts so we can build up his church. To use them effectively, we must:
·realize that all gifts and abilities come from God
·understand that not everyone has the same gifts nor all the gifts
·know who we are and what we do best
·dedicate our gifts to God’s service and not to our personal success
·be willing to utilize our gifts wholeheartedly, not holding back anything from God’s service.


Rom 12:6 In His grace, God has given us different gifts for doing certain things well. So if God has given you the ability to prophesy, speak out with as much faith as God has given you. Rom 12:7 If your gift is serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, teach well. Rom 12:8 If your gift is to encourage others, be encouraging. If it is giving, give generously. If God has given you leadership ability, take the responsibility seriously. And if you have a gift for showing kindness to others, do it gladly.

I was once challenged by a “Christian” man. He doubted that one person can have more than one gift. You can but usually one gift is stronger and that usually is the one that shines through. We have man in our small group. He organizes people to be greeters at the doors as you enter the building, enter the sanctuary and even when inside there is a person to help out if needed. I am sure I could do that but I would hate it. It is not my gift it is his and he does it very well. I am sure I would mess it up. We all have something that works for God. I lead a small group; I am not sure that I am any good at it but I like doing it. Is it my gift, only God knows for sure but it seems to be. It meets the criteria, I like doing it, it helps advance God’s message, and we have seen growth in our group which hopefully someday will end up being two groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment