Saturday, March 14, 2015

Revelation 3:1-6


THE MESSAGE TO THE CHURCH IN SARDIS

Revelation 3:1-6
 
Rev 3:1  "Write this letter to the angel of the church in Sardis. This is the message from the One who has the sevenfold Spirit of God and the seven stars: "I know all the things you do, and that you have a reputation for being alive—but you are dead. Rev 3:2  Wake up! Strengthen what little remains, for even what is left is almost dead. I find that your actions do not meet the requirements of My God.

I have found it interesting that what John was to write was to an angel of each city. I guess I had never thought of it that way that an angel was assigned to each city.

Sardis was a center for trade especially since they had developed a way to dye wool. They were the first to mint coins to use as a means of trade. It is strange that God told the faithful that they were alive but dead. That does cause one to wonder what exactly does that mean. There is an indication of what the issue is further on in this chapter.

Revelation 3:15-17 From The Message (MSG)15-17 “I know you inside and out, and find little to my liking. You’re not cold, you’re not hot—far better to be either cold or hot! You’re stale. You’re stagnant. You make me want to vomit. You brag, ‘I’m rich, I’ve got it made, I need nothing from anyone,’ oblivious that in fact you’re a pitiful, blind beggar, threadbare and homeless.

Sardis was rich, it was bigger than most cities and even thought the faithful had not swayed they also did nothing for the faith. These two verse are the ones that I have clung on to. Each of us tend to get a verse to live by, these two are mine. If your faith was sitting on a razor blade you would be uncomfortable and go to one side or the other. If you did not you would split down the middle and actually not accomplish anything. I think that is where the church of Sardis was.

 Rev 3:3  Go back to what you heard and believed at first; hold to it firmly. Repent and turn to Me again. If you don't wake up, I will come to you suddenly, as unexpected as a thief.

Wake up! Was the warning God had given them. In Sardis's history they had been sacked twice but opposing enemies. They were not watchful. God is saying the same thing to the Christians. They were Christians but they were not faithful.  Remember the instructions in Matthew 28: 16-20 16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

 I keep bringing that up because it is what Christians are to do. It can be done in many ways but it cannot be done by sitting on a fence.

Rev 3:4  "Yet there are some in the church in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes with evil. They will walk with Me in white, for they are worthy. Rev 3:5  All who are victorious will be clothed in white. I will never erase their names from the Book of Life, but I will announce before My Father and His angels that they are Mine. Rev 3:6  "Anyone with ears toof hear must listen to the Spirit and understand what He is saying to the churches.

This is the warning then wake up and be a Christian. If you do you will be rewarded in Heaven. Some of us are in need now of the rewards but that is not what God has decided in Sardis. It may have to be the same for you but that does not mean we quit on God. His timing is perfect.
Agape
Dave
 

No comments:

Post a Comment