Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Revelation 1:9-20


VISION OF THE SON OF MAN


Revelation 1:9-20


Rev 1:9  I, John, am your brother and your partner in suffering and in God's Kingdom and in the patient endurance to which Jesus calls us. I was exiled to the island of Patmos for preaching the word of God and for my testimony about Jesus.

John was an Apostle most likely the only one when he was writing this book to the seven churches. He call himself brother ". John knew that the churches had suffering do their Christian beliefs. He made his self an equal to their plight. The churches would know that John understood their issues and this made it much more acceptable.

Rev 1:10  It was the Lord's Day, and I was worshiping in the Spirit. Suddenly, I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet blast. Rev 1:11  It said, "Write in a book everything you see, and send it to the seven churches in the cities of Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea." Rev 1:12  When I turned to see who was speaking to me, I saw seven gold lampstands. Rev 1:13  And standing in the middle of the lampstands was someone like the Son of Man. He was wearing a long robe with a gold sash across His chest. Rev 1:14  His head and His hair were white like wool, as white as snow. And His eyes were like flames of fire. Rev 1:15  His feet were like polished bronze refined in a furnace, and His voice thundered like mighty ocean waves. Rev 1:16  He held seven stars in His right hand, and a sharp two-edged sword came from His mouth. And His face was like the sun in all its brilliance.
 
We  have a lot of sevens in these six verses along with some other imagery.

Seven Gold Lampstands: The Seven Churches: Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea

The seven stars: These were one of two possibilities. The first and most probable was that they were angels for each city one per city as stated in verse Rev 1:20. The second is that they were  messengers selected by God this is the least likely explanation.

I have included this section to help explain what it takes to be a lampstand (The word of God is the truth which is spoken  of here (KJV John 17:17). The word of God is that which directs us to Christ, the "light of the world" (John 3:19-21; 8:12). A church can only be the lampstand God intends it to be if it will hold forth the light God has given. To substitute the traditions, creeds and doctrines of men for the doctrine of Christ will only bring darkness(2 John 9).

White, gold sash, white hair, eyes like flames, and feet of bronze. The Life Application New Testament Commentary gives a good account of this: The long robe pictures Jesus as a leader. The gold sash across his chest reveals him as the high priest who goes into God’s presence to obtain forgiveness of sin for those who have believed in him. In the first century, wearing a sash, especially across the chest, indicated leadership and authority. Heb_2:17 identifies Jesus as the final high priest. His snowy white hair indicates his wisdom and divine nature (see also Dan_7:9). His blazing eyes symbolize judgment of all evil (see Dan_10:6) and deep insight, not only over the churches and the believers but over the entire course of history (see also Rev_2:18; Rev_19:12). the man in the middle is Christ.

Rev 1:17  When I saw Him, I fell at His feet as if I were dead. But He laid His right hand on me and said, "Don't be afraid! I am the First and the Last. Rev 1:18  I am the living One. I died, but look—I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and the grave. Rev 1:19  "Write down what you have seen—both the things that are now happening and the things that will happen. Rev 1:20  This is the meaning of the mystery of the seven stars you saw in My right hand and the seven gold lampstands: The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches.

 
John has just been instructed to write down what is (now) and what will be (future) so that all my see.

Agape
      Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment